Hat off to Coolest Cooler, the most funded Kickstarter project. (We bet the folks at Kickstarter are pretty happy, too...) This is the latest project to score big time, and moves to the top of our Top 50 Crowdfunding Campaigns Report.
Coolest is not the most funded crowdfunding project:"Star Citizen set a world record for a crowd funded video game, raising a grand total of $51,860,492 (as of 23 August 2014)."
So, Star Citizen has raised $51 million, but, who's counting. Both are impressive. Let's look at how they did it, as we wrote on June 2. The key takeaways remain the same:
1. You have a fan base. It is just not large enough to generate a million dollars in a day.
Coolest had a fan base, alright. This was their second bite at the crowdfunding apple. They learned from their first time out, made corrections, and tried again. Watch the video. Listen to their experience.
2. For your fan base, you also have something in your possession that will prove to them that you are all in. Think of what this might be and offer it (or a chance to posses it, if only temporarily.)
They had something that proved they were all in: their cooler and their track record.
3. Set a reasonable monetary goal, relative to what you are trying to do.
Coolest only needed $50,000 to get started. They have raised $13 million as of tonight.
4. Your entire campaign should be about something people can't get anywhere else, at any price.
Check. Can't buy this cooler anywhere else.
5. It should be for something that makes life better for someone else.